Jane's Nem • Happy Mansion - Petaling Jaya, Malaysia


This Vietnamese restaurant is within walking distance in our neighborhood. We decided to check it out while touring this neighborhood.

Surprisingly the area on the other side of our Airbnb is considered Section 17. That's also the home of plenty of eateries. Jane's Nem is one of them. Tuck in the residential portion of Happy Mansion there's a few small eateries side by side and we found this Vietnamese restaurant here.







When we walked in there were two tables occupied. It's still a bit early for dinner, the sky was still bright outside. We found a table away from the AC and sat down. A paper menu was brought to our table and a QR code was ready to be scanned.

We selected a beef noodle soup, a banh mi and a rice dish with pork belly. While waiting for our orders to be prepared, I took in the decor of the restaurant. There were a few colorful lanterns hung down from the ceiling making the room looked festive.

The beef noodle soup came out first. All the condiments like basil leaves and bean sprout were already in. A slice of lemon waiting to be squeezed. I felt that the bowl could be bigger to allow easier movement of all the elements of the dish. The thinly sliced beef were still red and I had to push them down to get them more cooked before enjoying the dish. The broth was light and I could not taste any hints of star anise. The noodle was soft and so was the beef.

The banh mi came separated from the rendang. The bread was airy and crunchy. I could taste something fragrant when I bit into it. Butter ? I think the rendang was a bit too salty. Cut back on the salt and I think this could be a better combo.

The pork belly was the biggest disappointment. The cut was a bit too lean making it a bit dry. It's not easy to get pork cut that has the right combination of fat and lean portion. In this case they tried to make it safer and got the leaner cut. Just like the rendang, I think this dish was also a bit too salty. I could not taste any other spices since the salt was overpowering.

Total bill MYR 61.60 (USD 15.08) - no drinks and 10% service charge.

Jane's Nem @ Happy Mansion
Happy Mansion, AG5, Block A, Jalan 17/13, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Phone: 012-331 1835

Comments

Popular Posts