Hospitalized in A Foreign Country - Jakarta, Indonesia
Two weeks ago, hubby woke up with a tummy ache. He told me he had stomach ache since 2 AM that morning. I gave him some light medicines, hydration pack, berberine and carbon pills. He himself though it was some sort of food poisoning. Only after it didn't get better by afternoon then we thought of going to ER.
He didn't have any fever and the only complaint was stomach ache that didn't get better. His main concern was he wouldn't be able to sleep that night.
When we arrived at ER at a local hospital, the closest one to my parents' residence, the doctor suspected appendicitis. I was actually very skeptical because he didn't have any fever. Doctor suggested to run blood test. When the result was ready about 45 minutes later it showed high level of white blood cells which means there's an active infection.
The next exam was ultrasound to rule out other infections. But hubby had a meal around 2 pm so we had to wait until about 6 pm when the food cleared from his stomach.
When time came, I accompanied him in the test area. The doctor squeezed some jelly onto his stomach and then using her device took each area of the body, kidneys, liver, pancreas, etc. I could only see she marked each area of the body. At the end she did explain to us whether she thought it was appendicitis. She told us the image wasn't conclusive. Later on I understood why it wasn't.
The ER physician, a young man in his 30s came to us about 30 minutes later and told us what we knew partially. He mentioned that ultrasound result could vary depending on the physician. The last test we could do was CT scan. It's a gold standard according to Gemini which has been keeping track of what we knew.
By around 19:30 we got confirmation that it was indeed appendicitis. The ER physician told us we could do a surgery that night at 9 pm. Me and hubby looked at each other. I told the doctor that was waiting on our response. I think we'll do it tomorrow morning at 7. I don't feel comfortable having a surgery at 9 pm by a tired surgeon. He grimaced a bit but didn't say anything else.



Comments
Post a Comment