For years, hubby had been craving kuih mor for CNY. I have been trying to find the recipe by asking friends and online. All fruitless. Seriously, if I never eaten it myself, I would think that he was just making it up. :)
Well, part of the problem was we didn't even get the spelling right. All this time, he said the name was kue mo. Coming from Indonesia, that's how we spell kue for 'cake', while Bruneian and Malaysian would say it 'kuih'. Anyhow, thanks to SingYin (xiauying.blogspot.com) we finally will have kuih mor for the first time this CNY.
Recipe (courtesy of SingYin)
1 kg Plain Flour
1 tin of Ghee (the 450+ gm one)
1 egg yolk
Nespray milk powder (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius
2. Fried the Flour in a medium heat in a wok. After that, let it cool.
3. Add all the above together and knead for a while. Make sure they are all mix.
4. Roll them into small ball and place them into the oven tray.
5. Bake for about 25 mins.
6. Sifted icing sugar and milk powder in a wide plates. Ratio can be 1:1 or 2 tbsp of icing sugar to 1 tbsp of milk powder. Up to your preference, really.
7. After cookies are done, let it cool for a minute or two and then lightly pick them up from the tray while it's still warm & roll them into the icing sugar