Make your own soymilk at home

I remember helping my mom to make soymilk when I was a kid. It didn't seem like a difficult process. So after putting all the ingredients together I decided to do it on my own.

Ingredients :
2 cups soy bean
cheese cloth
sugar to taste
Vanilla (optional)
Pandan leaves (optional)

Preparations:
The night before, rinse the soy beans twice in a pot. Pour the rinsing water out. Put water to soak the soy beans. Make sure all the beans are covered under water. Let the beans soak over night so beans will be soft the next morning.

soaked soy beans

Put the cheese cloth to cover a sauce pan. We're going to use it to strain the soy bean pulp later on. My cheese cloth is in shape of a bag. I've seen cheese cloth that is only a piece of flat cloth, then you want to put in on a strainer so when the pulp is poured onto, it will not collapse into the sauce pan.

Get the blender ready. Scoop the beans from the pot along with the water, roughly measure about 1 cup and pour them in the blender. Pour about 2 cups of water for each cup of beans. Turn on the blender and blend until beans turn into pulp. Pour the soy bean pulp onto the cheese cloth. Pick up the cheese cloth and squeeze as much milk out as possible into the sauce pan.
Continue with the rest of the beans. When finish squeezing the pulp. Put the sauce pan with the soy milk on the stove and bring to a boil under medium heat. Put in sugar to taste.
If using pandan leaves, shred a few pandan leaves and tied them into a knot and boil together with the soy milk.

Soy milk can be served either hot/warm or cold. I like both depends on the weather. The smell of the freshly made soy milk brought me back to child hood memories.


Cool off the milk and put them in glass bottle, it will last up to a week. I don't know whether it will go further than a week. I didn't have the chance to find out because mine was finished within days.

Comments