Durian Moon Cake

The Mid Autumn Festival is coming this weekend. Every year we always get a small tin can of moon cake just to feel like we haven't totally forgotten the festival. I'm not a dessert kind of person so mostly hubby will finish them off and me just trying a small piece here and there.
A few weeks ago as I was strolling at Marina grocery store in Cupertino looking at different kinds of moon cake I came across durian moon cake. How cool can that be ? DURIAN ....in moon cake. Wow..I wonder what it taste like. I wanted to get it right there right then but I wasn't sure how well hubby will take it. He wasn't with me at that time and since he is the one who usually eat the moon cake I have to make sure that he wants it also.

So we went back to the store a couple of nights ago. Grabbed it from the freezer section ...took a a look around the can. The can wasn't sealed so we opened it and ..whoa....the durian smell came out strong...It's like opening pandora's box, we quickly closed it again just in case somebody might come sniffing on us thinking we were the source of the smell.
When we reached home, we took one of the cakes out and threw the rest in a paper bag and freezer they went. One stab on the cake and hubby knew it was half frozen. Each of us took a small piece and put it in our mouth. Hmm...it tasted just like eating the real durian. It didn't feel like eating moon cake with durian fragrant, it was the durian itself that we ate. I could swear I actually tasted the durian texture. Yummy..it wasn't too sweet and the skin was thin it didn't feel like eating cake at all. But for four pieces of cake the cost of $22 was too high. We could get a lot more real durian spending that amount of money.

Comments