Planning a trip to Saigon


This idea just came in last minute after we decided to go back to Indonesia. Hubby said maybe we should go to Vietnam. You know..it's like you go to Disneyland, you might as well pay a bit more and check out Disney's California Adventure. It's just in the neighborhood.

But Vietnam is still a very foreign country to us. Luckily it has become a very popular destination among Indonesian tourists. By searching the Jalansutra mailing list at Google groups I found a lot of articles on recent trips to that country. Travel books like Frommer's or Lonely Planet are only useful up to a certain degree. Those places recommended there would most likely be very touristy by now. I took down a few names just for back up while looking for any new recommendation by other travellers online.

Surprisingly Wikitravel has good up to date information on Ho Chi Minh City. (http://wikitravel.org/en/Ho_Chi_Minh_City). Another good resource was http://www.virtualtourist.com/. And for good places to chow I like to check out blogs. Better coverage and more pictures.

We'll only be there for 2 days and 2 nights so I limit the area to be around Saigon aka Ho Chi Minh City. Hubby is not really into doing tourists thing like visiting Cu Chi Tunnel or visit Mekong Delta. To be honest I'm not really into crawling in a tiny space like the tunnel either. So I totally agreed with him on that. But hey..crossing those two spots out, I don't see anything else around that area. For now, I left that option open and see what we can find out when we reached there.

We already got our tickets through Tiger Airways. I roughly know which hotel we wanted to get through Agoda. All I need to do right now is to pack my suitcase.. :)

Comments