La Bodeguita Del Medio

A couple of nightd ago we had a chance to try out this Cuban restaurant in Palo Alto, La Bodeguita del Medio. We drove passed but couldn't see the restaurant so we picked a parking lot and walked back. The night was cold and the air was crispy. The street was quiet almost had a deserted feel to it. A few restaurants we passed by was quiet. But to our surprise when we got to La Bodeguita, it was almost packed and very busy. There were 2 tables left and we chose one by the corner. The bar area was full too.


Most of the restaurants in the area were small but this one seemed like it had been widened by taking over the space next to them. We were brought the menus but I kinda know what I wanted already. Hubby ordered a ginger beer after he was told that the Cuban beer that he wanted was not available anymore. It turned ou that the ginger beer was actually from Australia !


Our appetizer was awesome. Camarones con mojo, I believe that's the name. Medium size prawns perched on top of toasted slice of bread with spicy tangy sauce. We can see slices of habanero pepper and garlic along with chopped pepper (?).


For entrees, I got masitas - spicy pork with rice and black beans. Hubby got ropa vieja - shredd flank steak with plaintain and yellow rice. I took a bit of his plaintain....sooo good. I envy his order. My masitas wasn't too spicy. It had more of sweetness on it than savory and left me with a bit heat in my mouth after the meal. Very nice.


It was our first experience with Cuban cuisine. I look forward to trying out more dishes from the area in the future.

La Bodeguita del Medio
463 South California Avenue  Palo Alto, CA 94306 (650) 326-7762
www.labodeguita.com

Comments