Recipe (some measurements converted for US households)
1 lb minced pork (at least with 10% fat)
1/2 cup sugar
1tbsp light soy sauce
1/2tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/2tbsp fish sauce
1tbsp oyster sauce
A dash of Pepper
1/2tsp-3/4tsp salt or to taste
Lulu's notes :
We didn't use those striked out ingredients but instead used about 1 tbs cayenne pepper to make the spicy version.
1. Put all ingredients in a big bowl and start mixing them with a pair of chopsticks. Blend and stir the mixture in one direction until the meat becomes gluey . Store in the fridge for several hours.
2. Spread the marinated minced pork thinly onto the baking tray (using fingers to spread).
3. Bake at pre-heated oven at 320F for 20mins Remove from oven. Increase the oven temperature to 340F.
4. Wait to slightly cool, cut into your desired size and shape using scissor, knife or pizza cutter, place them in the same baking tray.
5. Grill (top heat only) one side at 340F for 10mins, remove from oven, flip over another side, wait oven back to 340F and grill for 7mins or until golden brown with slight burnt.
6. Once done, let it cool and enjoy!
**you may store Bak Kwa (at stage 4) in the freezer for later consume. Defrost and grill (stage 5) before serve. It will be even taste perfect if you charcoal grill it. Adjust your oven temperature accordingly, you know your oven better !!
Additonal notes from Lulu:
We added extra step by finishing it off on the gas bbq grill.
|Spreading the minced over baking tray|
|Finished product - cooling off stage.|