Teochew Style Braised Meat

This dish was one of the dishes that I enjoyed growing up. Recently I thought of it and craved it. Due to time difference, instead of calling my mom I decided to search on the internet for the recipe. Thanks to recipe from Kelly Siew that day I was able to satisfy my tummy. Below is the recipe adapted from that recipe (combined with my mom's). I never really measure the ingredients when I cook so most of the measurements are very rough. Sorry.

Continue for recipe



Ingredients :
1 lbs country style boneless ribs pork. I got mine from Costco and I really like the cut. For this dish you want the meat to be a bit fatty. Cut the pork into 1.5inch x 1.5 inch size.
1 pack deep fried tofu (about 6-8 pieces triangular size tofu)
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled.
1/2 medium size onion, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, peeled, rough chopped
1 tbs Chinese five spice powder
2 tbs salted soy beans (I like Yeo's brand)
2 tbs Indonesian sweet soy sauce. I like using this soy sauce to make it dark and sweet.
2 tbs sugar (or to taste)
2-3 star anise
1 tbs cooking oil
About 1.5 cups chicken broth
1 piece galangal (about 1 inch size, bruised). (optional)

Method :
Heat up a wok big enough to contain all the ingredients. When hot enough, put in the oil and stir fry the onion until fragrant. Then put in the garlic and the meat. Stir around for 2-3 minutes.

Pour the chicken broth in the wok. Put in star anise, five spice powder, sugar, salted soy beans and galangal. Bring it all to a boil. When it boils, put in the hard boiled eggs and tofu and turn the heat down to simmer and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Mean while heat up the oven to 300F.

Prepare a baking dish big enough to contain the pork and eggs. Spoon all the broth and the meat and eggs into the dish. Cover it with aluminum foil. Stick it into the oven and let it cook at 300F for 20 minutes. Then lower the temp to 280 and cook for another hour. This step could be done on a slow cooker if you have one.

You want the pork pieces to be tender but still has a bit resistance and not just falling apart. Extend the cooking time if needed.

Serve with rice when ready. Yum.




Comments