Jang Su Jang - Santa Clara

Platter of bossam, the sliced pork was behind and the pink/white thing was the pickled daikon with napa cabbage below
I have been eyeing this restaurant for quite a while. It looks a bit fancy so I sort of wanted to save it for special occasion. But the chance finally came when our office decided to have a dinner outing there. Yay !

Our original plan was another Korean bbq place but they couldn't take any reservation so last minute we decided on Jang Su Jang. When we got there it was 6:15 on Friday evening. It's a good thing we got reservation because there were a few parties waiting to be seated and we walked in like some VIPs.


Their menu was colorful and full of pictures. I love those kind of menus. One of my coworker pointed to me bossam which is boiled pork served with pickled radish, napa cabbage and some fermented shrimp. I was curious since I have seen this dish before at another Korean restaurant but didn't dare to order since I wasn't sure if I would like it.
A plate of shredded cabbage, etc to accompany the pork along with more pickled daikon

There were six of us so we decided on bossam, haemul pajeon (seafood pancake), spicy pork, galbi and bulgogi. The last 2 items were meant to be grilled in front of us. Those 2 items were from section on the menu where you could pick (at least 2 items) to be grilled on the spot. Mind you the price on this section was a bit on the pricey side. I think each of those item was around $27-$35. I don't quite remember exactly.

The side dishes (ban chan) were quite various and different. The basic ones like kimchee, japchae and kimchee daikon. And then the not so usual were the shredded daikon (?) and slices of apple with mayo.

The seafood pancake was more on the thin side and a bit more crispy. The spicy pork was good as usual. The bossam for me was the highlight since it was new to me but I found that I enjoyed it a lot. The grill meat was good since our waitress did the grilling for us. She grilled, cut and plated them. All we did was enjoyed it. The galbi was a better choice for the grill since it was a steak cut and it tasted more like bbq meat. While the bulgogi because of the thinner cut so it was only grilled lightly.

All in all we enjoyed it and it was a geat dinner. We spent about $155 including tips for 6 people with no alcohol.

Jang Su Jang
3561 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 246-1212

Comments