Gluten Free Bread

I haven't been able to enjoy a lot of bread ever since I decided to stay away from gluten a few months ago. Recently I have been trying to find recipe that I can try to bake myself at home. I haven't had a lot of luck baking bread before even with regular flour. So I was glad when this bread turned out not bad. It's a recipe by Michelle Palin's pull-apart dinner rolls from her blog My Gluten-Free Kitchen.
The recipe below has been adapted from her recipe.


Ingredients
10.12 oz.(290 gr) my gluten free all purpose flour mix (see the mix below)
1.38 oz (40 gr) Bob Red Mill's natural almond meal
2 tsp. active dry yeast - proofed (see instruction)
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water (105-115°)
2 Tbsp. butter, dairy-free margarine, or Spectrum shortening, melted
1 egg (preferably room temp)
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1.5 ts xanthan gum

Gluten free all purpose flour mix :
400 gr brown rice flour
300 gr sweet rice flour
300 gr potato/tapioca starch

Proofing active dry yeast :
1/4 c warm water (out of the total of 1 cup on the ingredients list)
1 ts sugar (out of the total of 1/4 c sugar)
2 tsp active dry yeast
Stir well and let it sit for 10 min.

Instructions
Preheat the oven at 350°. When it reaches the temperature. Turn it off. We'll use this to leave our bread to rise later.
Mix together flour, xanthan gum, sugar, and salt.
With mixer running on low speed, add in the water, melted butter, egg, and cider vinegar.
Mix on medium speed 3 minutes.
The end mixture is very sticky, pour into a loaf pan. Using your fingers dipped into warm water, smooth the top.
Cover with a dry towel and stick it in the warm oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
During the last few minutes that the rolls are rising, preheat oven to 400°.
Bake in 400° oven for 26-28 minutes. Start checking after 25 mins. The top should be golden brown and if you measure temperature of dough, it should measure 200°.
Brush rolls with additional ½-1 Tablespoon of melted butter.

First try on the bundt cake pan - FAIL !
Notes :
When I first tried this recipe, I used only my gluten free flour mix (without the almond meal) and it came out with a thick crust. It could also because I used the bundt cake pan which seemed thicker than regular pan. That's why I read through the other readers' comment and decided to switch part of the flour mix with almond meal. After all the original recipe from Michelle was made with almond flour.





Comments