Gluten Free Pizza Crust

I am building up my collection of gluten free recipes. So this past holiday season I have been trying out a lot of recipes. Some came out okay and some didn't. I post the recipes here on my blog to save me time next time when I want to make it again. Also some of the recipes that I posted on my blog have been modified based on my experiments.

I am glad I found the recipe for gluten free pizza crust. This recipe came from Dana The Minimalist Baker.

Ingredients 

3 cups gluten free flour blend (1 c white rice flour, 1 c brown rice flour, 1 c tapioca flour, 3/4 ts xantham gum)
1 ts salt
1/2 ts baking powder
3 tbs sugar, divided
1 tbs yeast
1 1/4 c warm water (between 105-115 degrees), divided
1 tbs olive oil

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the yeast and 3/4 c warm water. Let's see 5 minutes to activate. Sprinkle 1 tbs of sugar a few minutes in.

In a separate bigger mixing bowl. Combine the gluten free flour blend, salt, baking powder and remaining 2 tbs sugar. Whisk well to combine.

Make a well in the dry mixture and pour in the yeast mixture. Add the olive oil and additional 1/2 c water before start stirring. Stir well to combine.

The original recipe called for spreading out the dough on a pizza stone. I don't have one so I spread out the dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 min until it begins to look dry. Cracks may appear and it's okay.

Take it out and put your favorite topping. My first try I used sliced mushroom, bell pepper, chopped garlic, tomato sauce and topped off with shredded mozzarella.

Bake for another 20-25 mins. Take it out, cut and serve hot. Enjoy.

I actually made a mistake for not reading the instruction well. Ehem.. too excited I guess. I baked the crust along with the topping. The pictures here showed that. The pizza came out fine. I'll try it next time to bake the crust separately. Maybe it's just me that don't really have a lot of luck with anything with yeast. My crust came out a bit on the dry side on the edges where the tomato sauce didn't cover it. But this crust definitely better than the the frozen gluten free pizza that I tried before.
Tomato sauce on raw pizza crust

Toppings all ready on the crust

Note :
I also use this same recipe to make my green onion "bread". We used to get Acme Bread green onion slab which has a crust outside and more airy inside. I tried to make something like that. I used this recipe but double the amount of olive oil used plus a little bit more. Mixed in 3 stalks of chopped green onion. Came out more dense but still tasty.



Comments