Xi An Cuisine - Richmond, BC

I have watched some videos about the food at this restaurant and was intrigued to find out. Then one weekend we met up some friends at Richmond Public Market (RPM) and I took the opportunity to check out the food.

First of all, the vendors at RPM food court were not very diverse. I remembered they were all different types of Chinese cuisine. Though I should say some offered great value of food. At least 2 vendors offered 3 items package for only CAD9. And I am talking about a huge amount of food that could easily feed 2 people.

Seeing the options presented, it was pretty obvious to me that I should really check out Xi An cuisine. They seemed to offer something different. So I ended up ordering the spicy wonton, the pork burger and spicy noodle with vegetable (#16).

Some of the dishes have numbers on them and some don't. I was glad that the guy at the counter understood English. Ordering was a breeze. But then when your order is ready, he calls out the order in Chinese. But I guess since I had a hunch it was my order so when I approached the counter, he handed the tray to me and explained to me each dish just to confirm. Great !
Xi An pork burger


The first thing I tried of course after taking all the necessary documentation was the pork burger. An order consisted of 2 burger which was packed each on paper bag. The burger was simple with only pork (that looked like pull pork) on a bun that looked like English muffin. The bun looked similar to the McDonald breakfast muffin but got more moisture. The pork was tasty and wasn't spicy though it looked like it got a bit chili flakes. Both hubby and our friend said that they felt something was missing. Like some greens would work out better.
spicy wonton

The spicy wonton looked fiery and greasy. Though when we dug in it wasn't too oily at all. The liquid was a mixture of broth and oil so it was tasty though I would prefer them a bit more spicy. There was a bottle of black vinegar at the counter so feel free to add more vinegar if you prefer the wonton a bit more tangy.
Spicy noodle and vegetables #16

After it's all mixed well

Now the noodle with vegetables was really different and unexpected. The noodle was rice noodle though it looked like it was cut more than pulled. And I expected the noodle to be thick and chewy but it wasn't at all. It had a nice thickness to absorb the flavor and not too chewy that you feel too tired from chewing forever. The vegetables was mostly cabbage and the sauce was a bit tangy and salty with sprinkle of chili powder on top. The taste was pretty unique and it went well with the noodle and vegetables. I think it would have tasted better with the pork on it as well. Yum.

Xi An Cuisine
8260 Westminster Hwy, Richmond, BC V6X 1A7
(604) 279-9727

Comments