Pho An Nam - Richmond, BC

Me and hubby needed to pick up a gift at Richmond Centre. While there we were looking for a lunch spot. Found out this Pho An Nam which turned out to be just across from the parking lot.

When we went in there were a couple of tables occupied. A waitress greeted us and seated us right away. To my delight they offer the Vietnamese fried rice cake (banh bot chien). On the menu the name was Teocheow fried rice cake. I have been craving this dish since a couple of months ago. To the point that I tried to make it myself at home. Where we came from San Jose, California, we can find this fried rice cake at Tung Kee Noodle. TK Noodle as it is known is a Vietnamese Chinese noodle place.

Another surprise was they also have chicken pho (pho ga) on their menu. I sort of gave up on looking for the perfect pho ga. So I was in dilemma again. In the end I decided to go for it. Hubby just stuck to good 'ol house special noodle soup.



Let me start with the fried rice cake. It was very nicely presented with long shredded pickled carrot, deep fried daikon strips and cilantro. The rice cake was nicely fried into golden color then settled into a big round pancake like omelette. It's completely different from what I was used to which was just a bunch of rice cake stir fried into a scrambled egg. Presentation wise was definitely an upgrade. Taste wise I feel like this one tasted more premium with more eggs and less carb.

Special house noodle soup was beef noodle soup with rare steak, tripe and soft tendon. The broth was a bit darker color with a bit hint of star anise. The broth had a bit slight oil in it which I don't mind.


The chicken pho though was a disappointment. The chicken meat was shredded which was a good sign. But the chicken meat was very dry. The broth didn't taste like chicken broth. It's maybe a combination of chicken and pork or maybe just pork. I guess my search for chicken pho has to continue.

6820 No 3 Rd, Richmond, BC V6Y 2C4
(604) 279-9097

Comments