Ayo Eat - Victoria, BC

We were in the ferry bound to Swartz Bay Vancouver Island when I was pondering on what to have for lunch. Just out of curiosity I searched for Indonesian food in Victoria. To my surprise it came up with Ayo Eat. And since the location is pretty much in downtown area I decided we need to check it out.

So we went there for a late lunch after a visit to Butchart Garden. Ayo Eat is located at Market Square - a brick historical building next to Chinatown. Market Square itself has an outdoor seating in the middle with shops and restaurants around it. I found the building very interesting. Ayo Eat is tucked at one of the corner. When I went there the chef/owner was busy in the kitchen. The small menu made it easier for us to decide. I placed my order of chicken skewer (sate ayam) and beef curry rice (nasi campur rendang). I was told it's going to take about 20 minutes to get my order.



The chicken satay consisted of three chicken skewers with peanut sauce lather on it. The skewers served with white rice drizzled with some sort of light curry sauce. The sauce helped seasoned the rice which was otherwise plain. I am used to my satay more grilled and has that grill flavor. In this case these chicken skewers lacked that grill flavor. Possibly due to higher demand that day causing the chicken skewers to be under grilled.



The rendang rice was served with rendang (beef curry), potato chips, prawn crackers and pickled. The potato chips was made with deep fried thinly sliced potato and then caramelized with onion and chili. The pickled was deeply seasoned as well. Unfortunately the main guy which was the rendang was not flavorful enough and was a bit tough.


Ayo Eat
Located at Market Square
560 Johnson St, Victoria, BC V8W 3C6
(250) 590-4231


Comments