Baked Samosas

We had leftover mashed potatoes and ground beef from making deconstructed shepherd's pie. So as to not getting tired of eating same thing. Think of 3 lbs (1.5 kg) mashed potatoes for 2 people. How many meals of mashed potatoes would we have ?? I decided to be a little creative and make my own samosas. I think ever since we moved to Vancouver we haven't had any samosas yet. Last time my manager used to bring us some killer samosas from his favorite place.

Anyhow, this dough recipe is actually a phylo sheet recipe taken from Youtuber Food Wishes

Make 10

Dough :
120 gr white flour
1/4 ts salt
6 tbs warm water (110F)
2.5 tbs oil

mix well and knead until smooth - about 10 minutes. Cover with shrink wrap and let it rest for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375F (190C).



Unwrap the dough and knead a bit more into an oval shape and cut into 6 (almost) equal shape. In the video, the chef actually used a scale to make sure each cut is the same weigh. I guess one could use that to be more exact. But mine is for my own consumption so I didn't bother.

Use one of the pieces and wrap the rest of the 5 pieces back in the shrink wrap to keep them from drying up. Using your hand knead the dough and shape it into a ball shape before flattening it into a disc shape. Then using a rolling pint roll it out into a disc shape.

My first piece of dough was the end piece so it was a bit smaller and I decided to just make into a round shape and wrapped up my samosa into a flattened triangular.

For the middle 4 pieces of dough I rolled them out into an oval shape. Using a knife I cut the oval shape dough in half. Each of the half would be used for 1 samosa. First secure the 2 ends of the half oval in the middle using a bit water into a cone shape. Fill in the potato filling in the cone careful not to overfill it. Then secure the top part by pinching it tightly together. Turn it upside down so the pinched part would be the bottom part and sort of shape it into a pyramid shape.



Brush with a bit oil before popping them in the oven.

Comments