Cinnamon Rolls

I am not really a fan of anything sweet maybe because all the dessert sold out there are way too sweet for my taste buds. So I like to recreate dessert or baked items that I do like and customize it to my liking. Cinnamon rolls is one of them but my past experience making them has been all failures.

Then I found this recipe and I like it because it's quite simple and so far I found out that I could finally make my own cinnamon rolls.

Adapted from Ooey-Gooey Cinnamon Buns
Recipe By:dakota kelly
"These buns are sooo good hot from the oven when they're gooey and warm."

I found out that the original recipe yield about 15 which I didn't notice. And that amount is too many for our household. I like them immediately after they are taken out of the oven. Warming them later on didn't seem to do justice.

The recipe below is adjusted to my need of fresh rolls and liking. I omitted the butter and sugar in the pan and also pecan since most of the time I don't have them on hand. And just to make sure they are fluffly, I added baking powder.



Ingredients
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup white sugar
1/8 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 eggs, beaten

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 cup butter - let stand to room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tbs cinnamon powder


Directions
In a small bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in 1/4 cup sugar, 1/8 cup butter and salt; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm. Or you could put everything in a microwave safe bowl and pop into microwave for about 45 seconds (depends on your microwave). Take it out and let it cool off.

In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture, milk mixture, eggs and 1/2 cup flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.



Mix the 1/2 cup soft butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and cinnamon set aside.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, roll into an 18x14 inch rectangle. Brush with butter mix leaving 1/2 inch border uncovered. Starting at long side, tightly roll up, pinching seam to seal. With serrated knife, cut into 8 pieces; place cut side down. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Scrape remaining filling from the pan onto the rolls.

Comments