Homemade (Pull) Noodle

I happened to come across this video by Xiao Gao Jie de Magic Ingredients (小高姐的 Magic Ingredients) on YouTube. She showed how to do oil splash noodle (油泼面). Please pardon my Chinese since I used Google to translate it. But the ingredients were simple : flour, salt, water and oil.

The listed ingredients below were slightly improvised from her version.

Dough (3 servings)
2.5 c (365 gr) all purpose flour
1/4 ts (2 gr) salt
3/4 c + 1 ts (191 gr) water (room temperature)

Serving
3 stems of bokchoy, wash, cut
6 ts soy sauce
3 tbs vinegar
3 tbs oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 ts chopped green onion
a handful cilantro, chopped
chili flakes as needed

Some protein of your choice : stir fry tofu, stir fry minced pork, shredded rotisserie chicken



Method :
In a medium size bowl mix together flour and salt. Stir to combine.

Mix the water in a bit at a time. Stir to combine, use your hand to mix and knead. After all the water has been used, knead the dough for 3 mins.

When I first made it I think I may have used more than the water stated. I found my dough very dry so I added a bit more.

Cover the dough and let it rest for 45 mins.

After 45 mins, fold and press the dough 7 times. Then continue to knead for another one minute. Before using hand to squeeze the dough out as smaller dough balls. Shape the dough balls into smaller round dough balls. Let them rest for 10 minutes before flattening them into a disc shape and roll them out using a rolling pin. Dip the flatten dough in the oil each time they have been shaped into a round disc. The oil will prevent them from sticking to each other. Cover and let it rest for 2 hours.

I actually left my dough for almost 2 hours since I was out running errands. The surface of my dough was smooth compared to before. But even that I had hard time squeezing out the dough to make smaller dough balls. So in the end I resorted to just pull it apart to make smaller balls.

Set a pot of water to heat up prior to working on the dough. You want to be able to start boiling the noodle once it's ready.

After 2 hours, take one disc out and put it on a chopping board. Using both hands, slowly pull the dough in different direction to stretch the dough. While stretching it hit the stretched out portion on the chopping board. I actually like my noodle smaller and thinner. So when it gets longer and thinner I use a knife to cut it lengthwise into 3 strips. Then I continue working on each strip to make it longer and thinner. Boil the noodle once you have enough noodle to make a bowl.

While noodle is being cooked. Prepare serving bowls. In each bowl, put in 2 ts soy sauce and 1 tbs vinegar. Once the noodle is pour into the bowl, top off each bowl with chopped onion and cilantro, chili flakes and minced garlic. Heat up the oil in a frying pan. Once the oil becomes very hot, turn off the heat and spoon the hot oil onto the bowl drizzling on the garlic and chili flakes.

Comments