Hainan Kitchen - Richmond, BC

Last weekend we went to the shopping mall on Blundell to grab some fried chicken from Church's. We have never been to that mall since we moved to Richmond so I was excited to see a few restaurants in the same mall. One name caught my eyes - Hainan Kitchen.

I had a day off today and we made plans to go on a picnic to the beach. It turned out to be a very fine day. Sunny and warmer without too much breeze. We stopped by Hainan Kitchen on the way to White Rock.

It was passed lunch time when we got there. There was nobody inside. A woman behind the counter tending to her stuff. I walked in and said hello to get her attention. I placed an order of hainan chicken rice and an order of beef brisket curry. Those were 2 items out of their menu. The only item we didn't order was chicken curry.



It took a couple of minutes for my order to be prepared. The whole set up was like fast food joint. You go in and order. Menu was posted up. Paid and take a seat if this was pre-pandemic time. There was a huge painting on the wall - comic style.

Now, about the food. The chicken rice was a bit more yellowish than like Hainanenese chicken rice in Singapore. Despite the color, it was pretty bland. Not much of flavor, no fragrant of either garlic nor ginger. Chicken was boneless with skin intact. I believe it was thigh meat. Quite juicy. There was a side of mixed salad, chili sauce and garlic ginger oil. I think it was just okay. I was not impressed with either the rice nor the chicken. Hubby who had more chicken rice than I did actually liked the chicken and the chili sauce. He gave it a 3⭐.

The beef brisket curry looked nice. Reddish in color though not spicy at all with big chunks of carrot and potato. It's a bit on the sweeter side closer to the taste of beef stew. In my opinion it doesn't taste like any of the curry I know.

Hainan Kitchen
485 - 9100 Blundell Rd, Richmond, BC V6Y 3X9
(604) 370-1771

Comments