Sweet Potato Bread

 I have been trying out so many gluten free bread recipes the last few months. Most of them were fine. But not exactly anything that I so eagerly wanted to try again. Banana bread was one of the exception. Just like one of the comments said that banana bread was pretty much the only gluten free bread that they were able to eat.

But I don't want to just eat banana bread. And I thought why not sweet potato because it's surely has some sort of characteristic pretty close to banana though not as sweet. But I think it should be moist enough to make the bread comes out moist which is usually hard with gluten free bread. So I googled sweet potato bread and voila I came across this recipe by Caitlin - FromMyBowl.com. The following recipe was my modified version based on what I prefer and what I had on hand. 

Ingredients :

1 medium size Japanese sweet potato (not purple) - peeled, sliced and steamed until soft then mashed.
2 tbs ground flax seed + 6 tbs water
1 + 1/2 cup ground oat meal
2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk
1 ts vanilla extract
1 ts apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sesame paste (tahini)

Method :
Mashed sweet potato can be prepared the night before. It will cut preparation time in the morning and let the mashed potato sort of dried out a bit.

Preheat oven to 350℉. Mix the flax seed meal with water and set aside for about ten minutes. Then pour this flax seed mixture into the mashed sweet potato along with the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix well. Last put in the dry ingredients. Fold it in and do not over mix. The consistency we are looking for it's a bit thick.

Bake in the oven for about 60-70 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Take it out and set aside to cool for at least ten minutes.


Comments