Cassava Banana Muffin


Recently I have been trying to incorporate more whole foods into my diet. I feel that most of the bake goods use ingredients that are highly processed. I know cassava flour has started to show up recently on some recipes. But I am trying to avoid highly processed items that's why in this recipe I tried to incorporate the tube cassava instead.

Where I grew up, cassava is pretty commonly used to make snacks. Or just deep fried as snacks. I love the deep fried version. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The cassava tube really doesn't have that much taste other than starchy.

So this tube cassava version I'm using I found it on a local asian supermarket. In the freezer section. They're from the Phillippines. There were 3 pieces in a bag. Roughly about the same size. I steamed all of them but in the end only used 1 tube as it's only a test !

Yield : 8 medium size muffins

Ingredients :

1 piece of cassava about 3 inch long
1 ripe banana
200 ml coconut milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup of oat flour
1 tbs coconut flour
1 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda

For toppings :
1 tbs coconut sugar 
1 tbs unsweetened dry coconut flakes 


Preparation :
Steam the cassava tube for about 15 minutes or until a fork could easily piece it. Take it and put it in a bowl enough to work on. We need to mash this piece of cassava into pulp - the consistency of mash potato. Cassava is more starchy than potato so it's going to have a bit resistance and feel a bit sticky when you work on it. Once it's all mashed up, set it aside to cool off.

Preheat oven at 350℉.

In another bowl, mash the banana and set aside.

Mix eggs and coconut milk then cassava and the mashed banana. Make sure it's all mixed well before we put in the dry ingredients. 

Scoop the batter into lined muffin tins. Bake the muffin in the preheated oven about 25-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Take them out and let them cool on a cooling rack. Enjoy ! 😀



Comments