Simple Buckwheat Bread Recipe


I have seen a few buckwheat bread that went through fermentation. I thought it is an interesting concept. Fermented buckwheat bread. I have never tasted buckwheat bread before let alone a fermented one. So that got a special spot in my mind.

Recently I went to our local Bulk Barn to stock up a few items that was running low in my pantry. While there I decided to pick up some buckwheat flour because they didn't have buckwheat groats. Later on I found out that all of the fermented buckwheat bread out there use buckwheat groats. Argh !😒

But I'm already curious with this buckwheat bread idea. SO I was happy to come across this Simple Buckwheat Bread Recipe from Elle Republic. The recipe I posted here was slightly adapted from her recipe since I don't have any buckwheat flakes.

Ingredients :
Wet Ingredients :
650 ml water (650 gram) water
4 tbs ground flaxseed
3 tbs psyllium husk powder
2 1/2 tablespoon honey
2 tbs apple cider vinegar

Dry Ingredients :
300 gram buckwheat flour
100 gram rolled oats
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1 1/2 ts salt
1 cup mixed seeds (I used sesame, chia, flax and lots of sunflower seeds)
Coconut oil to grease the loaf pan
loaf pan size 9in x 5in

Preparation
In a big mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients under Wet Ingredients. Stir well and set aside for at least 20 minutes for all the seeds to gel up. 

Put all the items under Dry Ingredients into another mixing bowl. Stir to combine.

Grease and line the loaf pan. I found that this recipe completely fills up the 9X5 in loaf pan which normally I would not use for other gluten free yeast free bread. So make sure to use the 9X5 inch loaf pan.

Preheat oven to 350℉.

By now, the wet ingredients portion should have become thicker. Slowly pour in the dry ingredients combination into the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Continue until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Stir well. The batter should be pretty thick and absorb all the liquid. Use a spatula to smoothen the top of the batter. This was also surprisingly easy compared to other bread recipe where the batter was thick and hard to spread. 😀

Put in the oven and bake for about 1 hr and 15 minutes. When ready the loaf supposed to be golden color and firm to touch in the middle portion. Just to be sure I inserted a skewer anyway and it came out pretty much clean with a little bit of dampness.

Removed the loaf from the pan and let it stand on a cooling rack to help it cool off faster.

Notes :
I found that this bread is so far the best gluten free yeast free bread that I have ever tasted. Texture wise pretty close to regular bread. The crust can be revived by popping it quickly in a toaster. For me it's actually sweet enough to be eaten just like that. Which is pretty helpful since as of now I'm staying away from all store bought jam. Which really didn't leave me with a lot of options other than sunflower seeds butter.



Comments