Seeded Sourdough Crackers


This recipe was inspired by Norwegian knekkebrød which recipe I was introduced to by Sandhya Ramakhrishnan - My Cooking Journey. I thought that was a great idea to use my discard sourdough. Lately I have been maintaining a sourdough starter and after a while the discard starts to build up. 

This Norwegian knekkebrød is basically seeded crackers. But a lot of seeds ! I thought this could be healthy snack and a good way to use my discard sourdough. Traditionally knekkebrød is made with rye flour. So this one probably is far from the traditional taste.

Ingredients :
1/2 cup sourdough discard
1/2 cup oatmeal flour (homemade with oat and zapped with food processor)
1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seed
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (could use more but I was out)
1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey or coconut sugar
Enough water

Notes : if you have more seeds, you could use chia seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, etc.


Method :
Mix all the ingredients except water. Since my sourdough discard already had water, I thought I will not need water especially since I used sunflower seed butter. But it was still a bit dry after I mixed all the ingredients together. So I added maybe about 2 tablespoon of water. The dough should be a bit sticky but not overly wet.

Preheat oven to 350℉.

Prepare 2 sheets of parchment paper as big as your tray. I worked the dough in 3 different batches to ensure that the dough could be spread as thin as normal cracker. 

Put the dough ball in the middle of parchment paper. Cover with the second piece of parchment paper and then roll it out using a rolling pin. Careful to keep the thickness as even as possible so the cooking time will be even.

After you are satisfied with the thickness of the dough. Drop it in the oven to be bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take the dough out and use a knife to cut in into roughly same size squares/rectangular. Then drop the tray back in the oven to bake for another 20-30 minutes. 

My oven is not a convection oven so the heat was uneven. I needed to check it every 10 minutes just to make sure the edges are not burning. And also to adjust the squares to try to even the baking.

But I think in total it takes about 40 minutes in total to bake it until crispy.

I broke my crackers apart halfway the 40 minutes time to get even baking. Later on I just let them cool off before storing it in a air tight container.



Comments