Shopping with Lazada Thailand


It's been a few months living in Thailand. Just like Indonesia, it's hard to not get tempted to shop online. Especially for harder to find items like kefir grains or supplements.

Up until recently I have asked a Thai friend to order some supplements for me through his Shopee account. But I feel that for long term that's not convenient. Not to mention privacy issue.

I started by reading a few comments posted on the online forum from foreigners using Lazada account in Thailand. I then gathered enough courage to set up my own account and placed my first Lazada purchase.

That was last week. By now I have placed quite a few items. So far so good. No complain. But of course even with Amazon, I'm sure one day I would have issue. But until then I'm a happy user. 

What You Need
*An email address
You could register your Lazada account with an email address. This email address would also receive your summary of payments, purchases, order updates, etc.

*A Thai SIM card
If you have a Thai bank account number then most likely you would have a local/Thai SIM card. That's because to use the online banking you would need to have a SIM card. The phone number linked to this SIM card will be used as one of the reference number for your Lazada payments if you choose to do bank transfer.

*A Thai bank account
Most of foreigners who decided to live in Thailand most likely would have a bank account. It does take time to open one but it's not too difficult. 
You could use bank transfer to pay for your Lazada purchases. But don't despair if you don't have one, because a lot of sellers do accept COD (Cash On Delivery).

Payment Options Available

Those are the payment options available. The COD (Cash On Delivery) is also available but at the very bottom so didn't get to show itself here. 

Lazada pay shows up at the top. I was exploring on how to use it. But it seemed that it would need some sort of Thai ID to be able to set up a Lazada pay account. From my googling result, some said they were able to set it up using passport. But I didn't really want to involve my passport information when it's not necessary.

The same thing with debit/credit card. That seems pretty straightforward, just like how I pay my Amazon purchases in Canada or US. But again, I didn't really want to expose my credit card/debit card information just in case it got compromised.

How to pay for Lazada purchases
So you have went through thousand of pages of stuff and you have put all those items on your cart. Now you are ready to check out and pay. 

What I did was going through the following selections :
1. Select Bank Transfer
2. Pick your bank
3. Complete the process and you would be given a page with reference number. I used my Google Lens to translate the page and it looked like below. 


As you see from the instruction on the page above, that you could do the payment through either ATM or Mobile Banking. I would think the payment process through ATM most likely would be pretty similar to the Mobile Banking which are as follow :
1. Logon to Mobile Banking
2. Select Bill Pay
3. Select Payee
4. Select Other
5. Select 123 Service
6. Input column for reference 1 with the reference number provided by Lazada on your check out page (see example above). Input column for reference 2 with your cell phone number. Some other online users mentioned that reference 2 is optional. But when I tried to leave it out, the system would not allow me to continue.
7. Complete the process and you would be come to a page that says payment successful. Then you could also receive an email confirmation.

Comments