Lanzhou Beef Noodles - Vancouver, Canada


I have been wanting to try Lanzhou style beef noodle soup. In fact, I tried making it myself following recipes I found online. I remembered the taste was good though I had no way of comparing it too.

One weekend, as me and hubby were walking on Broadway, we saw this restaurant selling Lanzhou beef noodle soup. Perfect lunch for a rainy day so we went to check it out. 


The place was tiny but not as tiny as some of the ramen place we been to in Japan. I think in total this restaurant could handle 36 people. Not bad. During lunch time when we walked in there were a couple of people in front of us. But the line moved fast and soon we got a table. People were just finishing at the time. The waiters moved quickly to clear the tables and got everyone seated promptly.


We were brought a menu which seemed pretty broad. I saw some seafood on one side of the menu and the other side contained rice, noodles, etc. I was curious with Lanzhou beef noodle so that was my upmost priority. Hubby craved pan fried buns but then he suggested to order another. He must be hungry. 😄 So I ordered a spicy wonton (红油抄手). 

The beef noodle came out first. Just as I expected, it was quite a big bowl of noodle with firm chewy noodle. Chopped cilantro and green onion floating with a bit of red chili oil and a few slices of beef. Cilantro and green onion were optional though as our waitress asked for our preference when taking our orders. The broth had a hint of spices, perhaps szechuan peppercorn ?


The next one that came out was the spicy wonton. Easily noticeable was the extravagant amount of red chili oil. For sure they were not skimping on the chili oil. 😅 The chili oil wasn't too spicy, it gave a hint of spiciness. The wonton skin was thicker than normal. Possibly handmade ? The wontons by themselves can be a main course. Filling enough without feeling overwhelmed.


And finally our pan fried buns arrived. One order consisted of six buns smaller than what I remembered of the ones in Lansdowne mall. These buns were so juicy it was hard to contain the juice inside without spilling it out while trying to bite on it. 


My recommendation is to share the beef lamian with another person(s) so it would open up opportunities to order other items.

Lanzhou Beef Noodle
3217 W Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6K 2H5
Phone: (604) 558-3217


Comments