Kuih Sapit

Never in a million years would I thought of baking my own kuih sapit. Even my mom thought I was crazy when I told her that I'm going to make it myself. It's so much trouble and so much burning..well not with the one I'm making.

Ever since I found out the recipe for kuih mor (read my previous posting : http://sweetcumi.blogspot.com/2009/01/first-cny-with-kuih-mor.html). I decided that I'm going to make this CNY special. For me, CNY was just another day. It's not a holiday in US. And since I'm a grown up now, there'll be no angpow (red pocket). When I was a kid, CNY was the only time we got to wear new shoes, new dresses, drinking soda and eating cookies all together on a same day ! But these days, I could be doing all those every day.

So I got my kuih sapit machine from amazon. I was so excited. I came home early that day to greet the UPS guy that delivered the package. :) ha..ha..It was so happened that my work schedule that day was light. And one hour later, I sent a picture to my hubby, showing off my kuih sapit.



The recipe was courtesy of Amy Beh (http://kuali.com/recipes/advresults.asp?index=2&page=1&k=&c=&v=0). Very easy to make.

Ingredients
125g rice flour
35g plain flour
155g granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (from 1 coconut)
2 eggs
2 egg yolks


Method
Sift rice and plain flour into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and slowly add the coconut milk. Stir until smooth then add the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk until well blended. Strain the batter.Lightly grease love letter moulds with a piece of muslin cloth dipped in oil. Heat mould over charcoal fire.When heated, place the moulds open over a bowl of batter and pour a ladelful of batter onto the mould. Close the mould tightly and bake over charcoal fire for about half a minute on each side.When golden in colour, remove and immediately fold into a quarter. Press lightly with a tin cover to level the surface.Cool and store in an air-tight container or tin.




Comments