Habana Cuba - San Jose

Had an office party here on a Friday night. The location was pretty easy to find. Just off San Carlos on Race Street. Parking on a busy night could be tricky. I pulled over to a parking lot next to the sign. Then I saw this big sign saying no restaurant parking beyond this point. And I was thinking, where is the parking for the restaurant then ? But just continue and you'll see on the other side of the building the real parking area for the restaurant.


They have quite a selection for drinks - both alcoholic and non. I can't say much about the alcoholic one even though I really wanted to try the mojitos. But I ended with a coconut soda - coco rico. It tasted quite different. Imagine combination of coconut juice and soda water. Yup..interesting taste. But another co-worker ordered Franca - peruvian beer. And they offer a few other imported drinks and a bunch of other juices like guava and pineapple.

We shared a combo appetizer. Plaintain chips, masitas (awesome !!), croquetoes (awesome !), yuca frita taste just like french fries served with garlic dipping sauce. But seriously the garlic dipping sauce was pretty bland. It's just chopped garlic in oil. A bit more seasoning would bring out more taste. But the masitas was the star of the platter. It's pretty much fried pork. Almost like carnitas in Mexican food.

For entre I got camarones al ajillo. It's huge prawns cooked in garlic, olive and white wine. Served on bed of rice and plaintain. The prawns were okay. Had a bit smell to it and another co-worker said it was overcooked. It was actually less garlicky than I thought it'll be. And for entree, there was option between salad or soup. I opted for soup which turned out to be pretty good. Chunk of chicken,corn and noodle in tomato based soup.

Pictures here were not taken by me. Borrowed from a few fellow yelpers (Tiffany M and Jackie S).



Habana Cuba
238 Race Street, San Jose, CA  (408) 998-CUBA
www.998cuba.com

Comments