Yummy Tofu & BBQ

Went there for dinner on a Friday night. Looking at the name I thought they only served tofu stew and bbq. But I was delighted to see that they offered quite an expansive dishes that were not very typical Korean restaurants. Among those dishes were gamja jeongol (pork bone stew with potato) and bossam (boiled pork served with wrapped). There were also a few other stew like seafood stew and goat stew. So far there was only another small mom and pop restaurant in Santa Clara that served those type of stews.

There were four of us so we ordered a gamja jeongol, a stir fry squid with pork belly on spicy sauce (ohsam bokkeum) and a non spicy beef bulgogi. The gamja jeongol was served on a hot pot style stove top to keep the soup hot. This stew was served with some sort of green veggies which I haven't seen being used on the soup before. I am sure each family has a different way of cooking their stew. The broth had deep flavor and had a hint of spicy peppery taste to it.



The spicy squid with pork belly was another thing I didn't expect to see on the menu. In the past I loved to order the spicy squid/octopus dishes. But ever since Cheong Dam opened in Santa Clara they introduced the spicy squid with black pork belly which I thought was a good combination. But now I'm glad that this restaurant also offered this dish. This dish was a stir fry of squid and pork belly in a slightly sweet spicy smoky sauce.

And last but not least was the beef bulgogi which I thought was nothing special. It was served on bed of onion on a sizzling hot plate.

I think we will go back and try other stews they have on their menu.

Yummy Tofu & BBQ
1310 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 984-1898

Comments