Thai Basil - Sunnyvale

tiger roast chicken- one of the house specials
Went there on a Wednesday night with a group of people from my office. We started early just before 6 pm so the restaurant was pretty empty. While we were looking at the menu, one of the waiter took our drink order. Then he brought out the drinks except for mine and another coworker who only ordered water. When one of us asked he said wait a bit. I wonder if that's the common rules for restaurant to bring out water later if  customers do not order drinks.

Then another waitress took our order. She got everybody's order and then one of my coworker asked whether the food is going to be spicy. Then my boss chimed in and said can we customize the spiciness level. Only then the waitress turned around and went through the orders and asked a few of us how spicy they wanted their food. I thought that was odd because normally we would be asked when we placed our orders.



We shared a vegetarian egg roll, vegetarian papaya salad and an order of tod mun (fried fish cake) for us the non vegetarian ones. The egg roll and papaya salad were not bad. I think papaya salad would taste better spicy but not everyone could handle hot dish. The tod mun should be avoided. It looked old and tasted pathetic. The fish cake was so thin and for the price of almost $10 we were given 6 very thin fish cake. That's a rip off.

I ordered I think a tiger roast chicken. It's grilled marinated chicken. When it was brought to me I was surprised to see the amount of chicken. It was literally half a chicken. But though looking awesome the taste was decent only. I was expecting a more deeper marinate flavor. But the chicken didn't taste like it was marinated. There was a sweet Thai chili sauce to accompany it but as a Thai dish I didn't think the dish was representing Thai cuisine.

All in all it was an okay dinner with coworkers. But I would not go back.


Thai Basil Sunnyvale
101 S Murphy Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94086
(408) 773-1098

Comments