Pho Pho You - New Westminster, BC

We had some business done in the New Westminster area and decided to stop by for lunch here. It was a rainy Saturday afternoon. When we walked in there were two tables occupied. Pretty quiet for Saturday afternoon.

We ordered a beef pho with raw beef and meat ball and a sweet and sour noodle soup. I noticed the spring roll cost about $7 for an order of two rolls. That was a bit more than I am willing to pay so we opted out. I was looking to try banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) but this restaurant didn't have sandwich on the menu.

Our orders came out pretty fast and piping hot. I liked that the bowls used were big though the soup was a bit more than I expected. Bigger bowl enable easier mixing once bean sprout was put into. The raw beef was just cooked when brought to the table. I took a couple out for hubby. He said the beef was tender. But I didn't eat the one in the bowl until later on when it became over cooked and became tough.



The broth for the beef noodle was decent but not hearty for me. It's not beefy and not spiced up enough. I liked the broth to have a bit smell of star anise but this one was lacking. Hubby's sweet and sour soup tasted like tom yum soup. It actually looked healthy with loads of veggies like purple cabbage, carrot and broccoli. For protein it came with shrimps and slices of fish cake along with some imitation crab if that counts as protein.

The place itself felt very cozy and felt like someone's living room. I actually had the chance to use the toilet and it was very clean. That tells a lot about the restaurant. All in all it was a good experience, not sure when we would be back though I was curious to try their chicken pho.

Comments