Coco Curry - Sapporo, Japan


Prior to this Japan trip I have heard of Japanese curry. One of my friend works at a Japanese curry restaurant in Cupertino. So one time I tried to make it at home using one of those spice pack. I didn't like it. So I had this bad impression of Japanese curry.

But when we were in Nagoya and stayed at Meitetsu Inn Nagoya Ekimae we had a chance to try Japanese curry as part of the breakfast served. And I enjoyed it ! After that we had another chance to have curry in Takayama and soup curry in Sapporo.

So on our last day as we were scouring our neighborhood figuring out what to eat. We came across Coco Curry. And we thought yeah why not. Let's have some curry for our meals before leaving Sapporo. So we headed there for lunch.

When we walked in that place was smaller than we thought. There were only 12 bar seatings. Not completely all taken but 2 of the seats available were separated. First we agreed to wait but then after ten minutes which seemed like forever we were then offered to sit separately which we gladly accepted. We needed to go to airport.



So we sat down and placed our orders. I asked for tonkatsu with level 5 spiciness. So one could customize the level of spiciness. But then the lady that took my order indicated that level 5 was pretty spicy. So I lowered to 3. And I glad I took her advice because it turned out to be pretty spicy.

Hubby ordered a veggie curry so we could share and tasted different texture. Before our orders arrived the seat next to me was vacated and we could sit next to each other now. My tonkatsu curry came with a piece of golden color tonkatsu on top of some curry sauce with the other half of the plate filled up with rice. The spiciness was just the right amount. Anything over that would not be enjoyable. Hubby's veggie curry got big chunks of potato with a bit of carrot and green beans. I think it was a good combination of tonkatsu and veggie. I wouldn't want to just have either one. The tonkatsu had a crunch in it which gave the curry some texture.

So if you have never tried Japanese curry, give it a chance next time you are in Japan. You may grow to like it like me.




Comments