Bali Thai - Vancouver, BC

Found out about this place quite a while ago. But some parts of China Town wasn't very desirable so I was hesitant to go. Last Friday I needed to pick up an item from T&T and voila I found out that the International Village where Bali Thai is located is just next to T&T.

Though looking pretty big in picture online. International Village wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. It's not exactly a mall I wanted to go window shopping. It's more like a place I go if I needed to pick up a thing or two.

The food court where Bali Thai is housed in is on top floor. The way the mall looked and felt sort of reminded me of Richmond Public Market. There was a Chinese food and a Thai food stall on each side of Bali Thai.



The older lady owner was behind the counter and acknowledged me. But she looked busy prepping an order so I let her finished her thing. I picked beef rendang (caramelized beef stew) and corn fritter for my two entree with rice bento. Unfortunately they were out of corn fritter. Darn it. I was drooling on them already. So I had to pick orek tempeh instead.

Orek tempeh is a stir fry tempeh dish. Usually the tempeh (fermented soy bean cake) is cut to smaller pieces and deep fried being stir fried. In this case the tempeh didn't look or tasted deep fried. Probably healthier version.

The rendang was sweet and tender. Almost melt in my mouth texture. But it was lacking spices. Hubby said he would have thought it were beef stew had he been blindfolded. I guess we were used to my spicier home made rendang. The yellow rice was fragrant though. I was glad I chose that over regular steam rice.

Bali Thai
Food court International Village Mall
88 W Pender St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1R3
(604) 291-7990

Comments