Fami Pho - Vancouver, BC

Passed by the area and found out this place. It was lunch time but it wasn't too busy. In fact there was only 1 table occupied. We were seated immediately and got our hot tea very fast though. But our order came out a bit slow considering that the restaurant wasn't even too busy.

I ordered bun thit nuong - vermicelli bowl with barbecue pork and pickle daikon strips. The vermicelli bowl comes with cooked vermicelli topped with barbecue pork pieces, cut lettuce and pickle daikon strips with some crushed roasted peanuts. The sauce used was made with fish sauce, lime juice and some chili paste. I think the pork used was the wrong cut. A bit too thick and too lean. Most other places normally uses thinly sliced pork with some fat. Unfortunately fat means flavor so a bit fat is not bad. Also in my opinion the pork didn't get enough grill flavor in it. It's almost as if it was not grilled but was precooked before grilled.



This time we got the salad roll right. We learned that in Vancouver, goi cuon is mostly called salad roll instead of spring roll. Ordering a spring roll will get us a deep fried eggroll instead. The salad roll was good and freshly made. The rice skin was still soft and sticky.


I think the best of our order was hubby's beef noodle soup. The broth was darker than most pho noodle soup that we have tried. It had a clear distinct smell of star anise which I found it fragrant. The broth was a bit oily compared to other noodle place. I think it's a northern style broth that was being used.

I think we would be back pretty soon since I discovered that they actually has chicken pho on their menu. I am curious whether they would have northern style chicken pho that I have been searching for.


Pho Fami
128 E Broadway, Vancouver, BC V5T 1V9
(604) 559-9293

Comments