JB Ah Meng - Singapore

My parents been to this restaurant on their previous visit to Singapore. Since my dad liked the fried rice noodle here I thought let's bring them back again on our last night in Singapore. And also it was pretty close to our hotel in Geylang area.

There was already a line formed outside the restaurant when we got there. And it was hardly 6 pm on Sunday evening. First I was surprised of the line but then I found out that this restaurant was listed under Singapore Michelin Bib Gourmand 2016. Michelin Bib Gourmand is awarded to those restaurant showing good quality and good values. People go gaga when Michelin name is attributed. That made me even more curious as to what's the deal is all about.

As we waited in line we got menu to study so by the time we sat down we knew what to order. Their specialty dishes were white pepper crab, San Lou Bee Hoon (stir fry rice noodle) and fried garlic chili lala (a type of clam). White pepper crab would be too much work to eat so we skipped that and ordered the San Lou Bee Hoon and the fried garlic chili clam. We also ordered a stir fry greens which I didn't remember much.



Now the verdict. The San Lou Bee Hoon was special because it was partial crispy instead of normal flowy stir fry noodle. It's like a partial i fu bee hoon - not sure if there's such thing. The rice noodle was stir fry normally with dry shrimp and squid and then left on a pan with extra oil to make it crispy. I would imagine that's how it was done. I seriously didn't think the flavor was extra special. I like my stir fry rice noodle just the normal way. I guess I'm old school.


The fried garlic chili clam was nice. The clam was plump and fresh. I guess that's the key to any seafood dish. And we did enjoy the dish. Whether we'll be back ? Possibly if the line isn't too long. I just don't think the food worth waiting long time.

JB Ah Meng
534 Geylang Rd, Singapore 389490
+65 6741 2418

Comments