Chef Hung Noodle 洪师父牛肉麵 - Vancouver, BC

I have seen this name in Cupertino, California before we moved up here to Vancouver. I heard it's a popular brand for Taiwanese style beef noodle soup. Have never quite enjoyed it in the past but I thought maybe I haven't found a good one yet. But Chef Hung supposed to be famous restaurant in its home country. We would not have made it there had the Vietnamese noodle soup few doors down wasn't closed that day.

It was still early for lunch so we were the first one there. The guy who I think is the manager was very friendly. He gave a few recommendations. Later on when the restaurant got super busy he was still checking on us and refilling our tea.



We ordered the award winning beef shank noodle soup, fried chicken noodle soup and pork hock noodle soup. For snack we got the beef wrap and chicken nugget. Food came out pretty quick. Though the snack came out later than the noodle.

The noodle soup got two options for noodle. Either thin or flat. I got the thin version for my pork hock noodle soup. The pork hock wasn't as flavorful as pork hock at Corner 23. I think the pork hock needs a stronger spice and longer cooking time. The broth I believed was the same for both beef shank and pork hock. Broth was brown color with a hint of spices. I liked this broth better than the one at Uncle Lu's which was a bit sweeter.

The chicken nugget here was good and flavorful. But I feel like in term of value, Corner 23 chicken nugget offered a better value. The beef wrap had thinly sliced cucumber inside. and some sort of sweet sauce. It was better than another beef wrap we had back in California.

I can't say that I enjoyed the noodle though. I understand that perhaps this style of noodle is probably unique to Taiwan. But I'm more accustomed to thinner style of noodle which I think absorbed flavor better. I think this type of noodle probably works out better served dry with some garlic chili vinaigrette. But that's a different story.


Chef Hung Noodle
2028 W 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V6M 1Y8
(778) 379-8865
https://www.chefhungnoodle.com/home.php

Comments