OMG - I Overbooked Hotel Room

Since we were out travelling for 2 months I figured I needed to checked my credit card every now and then. Especially since I didn't want to miss any payments. Then one day I saw one Agoda charge that didn't match any of the hotels reservation we had. Either past stays or upcoming ones.

One morning in Chiang Rai, Thailand I was trying to look up rates of the hotel across from us when I stumbled upon my reservation page on Agoda. Then voila I saw the same mysterious figure that I have been trying to decipher. It's for a hotel in Chiang Rai !

All of a sudden it dawned on me how this whole thing happened. I found this hotel and just to be safe I reserved a room since I didn't have to pay for it until a week before checking in. Later on we changed our itinerary and I found a different hotel and made another reservation. Completely forgot about the first reservation.



Anyhow, what SHOULD I DO ?  First insting was to send a whatsapp message to our friend and asked if they would be interested in staying in a hotel for the next few days. But when we talked to them they suggested that we talk to the hotel. Especially since Agoda (where we booked our reservation) clearly stated that it was too late to cancel our reservation.

Long story short we went to the hotel and explained the mishap. The staff there offered to sell the room and if succeeded then we'll get our money back. I sort of gave up and can only blame myself for being absent minded.

We did leave our email addresses with that friendly staff but didn't really expect anything. I thought the term 'sell the room' was their way of saying no to our refund request.

We were in Chiang Rai for 5 days and the incident was forgotten. The day we were waiting for our connecting flight to Singapore then we received an email from the hotel. They were able to sell the room and we could go and collect our money. Since we left Chiang Rai already we told them that we would send our friend to collect it.

That's a happy ending to my otherwise costly mistake.

Comments