Au Petit Cafe - Vancouver, BC

One time we walked past this restaurant and saw people waiting. The FOMO in me came out and told me we need to try this place out. So we went back recently. The place is tiny so it could fill up quickly. We went there with another couple and ended up sitting separately just so we could get seated faster.

Au Petit Cafe offers Vietnamese cuisine like pho noodle soup and banh mi sandwiches. When we were there we all ordered noodle soup but different varieties. I got chicken noodle soup with mushroom and hubby got beef noodle soup. I think our friends who sat in another table also got beef noodle soup. I ordered another dish described as steamed rice cake with mung bean.

My chicken noodle soup which I thought would be like the  northern style Vietnamese chicken noodle soup didn't taste like one. The broth used wasn't chicken broth. My bowl of noodle came with bokchoy and shiitake mushroom. It felt like a fusion bowl of noodle. I didn't quite enjoy it.



Hubby's beef noodle soup seemed pretty decent. Enough beef and beef bowl. And lastly the extra appetizer/side dish which I forgot the name. It's steamed rice cake with mung bean. I actually thought was another dish. But this one consisted of round shape rice cake with mung bean paste on it and topped with powdered dry shrimp and julienned onion. The taste was very mild almost bland. And I found the rice cake a bit too soft with lots of liquid in the plate. I don't know whether that's pretty common.


All in all we were not impressed with what we ordered. I saw other people ordered their banh mi sandwiches. Maybe that's their strength. Not sure if we would go back just to try their banh mi.

Au Petit Cafe
4851 Main Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 3R9
(604) 873-3328
aupetitcafe.com



Comments