Robson Public Market - Vancouver


 Located almost at the end of Robson just across from Whole Foods Market. One could easily miss it only because it's a bit further away from the more touristy area of Robson. If not because of a recent Instagram post I would not know about this place.

One best thing about this place is the free 2 hour parking at its basement. And that's plenty of time to eat at the food court on the top floor. The ground floor was occupied by a cafe, umbrella shop, bag/suitcase shop and a Korean grocery store. Supposedly there is a butcher shop but I didn't see nor was I looking for it.

The food court on second floor as far as I can see only have three vendors. Hida Takayama Ramen, Delicious House and Nam San. The last two serve Korean cuisine and the other seeing the name most likely serving ramen.



Nam San has soon dae (Korean blood sausage) on the menu along with some other interesting not so common dishes like soon dae guk (blood sausage rice soup). Anyhow I can guess what it tastes like since it's blood sausage but still my curiosity got the better of me. So I order blood sausage on hot platter with other stuff on it. That other stuff turned out to be stomach and other parts.


The other vendor Delicious House has stuff interesting stuff on their menu too like fried chicken and some spicy dishes. Since we were planning on going to the other restaurant - Hon's so we decided to just try soon dae and save some room for some chinese stir fry from Hon's. Though later on we found out that Hon's has closed down permanently.

The soon dae took about more than ten minutes to prepare. The outer skin layer was a bit crispy so I am guessing it was deep fried than plate on the hot plate. Unfortunately the stomach, intestine, etc was not fried. Hot sauce, laver, chili salt and pickled daikon were served along side soon dae as condiments.

I enjoyed the texture of the soon dae. But since it's made of blood and also served with stomach and other body parts, some people may find the smell off putting. For now I can check it off my list.

Robson Public Market
1610 Robson St, Vancouver, BC V6K 1C7
(604) 682-2733

Comments