Kumare - Richmond, BC


We have been eyeing this restaurant since a few months ago every time we were out walking in our neighborhood. I googled it and found out that it's a Filipino restaurant. We haven't had too much Filipino food other than Adobo or kilawin. 

Last weekend we were going to drive to Burnaby for hubby's favorite char kuey teow from Ipoh Malaysian Cuisine. But we couldn't get anyone on the phone. He was devastated. Another call to John 3:16 and they were also close. I couldn't believe our luck. So we got our chance to try Kumare. We decided to just stop by and checked out what they have to offer. 

We went in and I had a few photos from Google ready to show the staff there. I wasn't too sure what's the name so thanks to Google review with photos !

We ordered sizzling pork sisig and crispy bangus. Pork sisig from what I found out was supposedly made with parts of pork head and chicken liver. Our order didn't taste like it had chicken liver so it was just pork. I could taste pork rinds in it. My first bite of the pork sisig sort of reminded me of carnitas. But pork sisig is more chewy some part tasted dry and extra chewy. Maybe that's the lean portion of the pork.


The pork sisig was $14 and it was jammed packed in a small container. But after I poured it out on a plate it was quite a lot. The taste was not very strong. It came with a small piece of lemon and a few bits of red onion. We couldn't finish the sisg so on the next round I chopped up more shallot and garlic to be mixed in. I also added more lemon juice and a bit more salt to the pork sisig. It was better after that.😋

The crispy bangus was a deep fried opened up milk fish. It looked big in the photo because the fish was cut opened on one side with the bones removed. It's pretty crispy though not as crispy as we thought it would. The flesh was a bit dryer than I thought but well marinated. It had mild citrusy flavor with hint of onions ?


Same with the pork sisig. We couldn't finish the fish in one seating so the next round I heated it up in the oven. Preheated the oven and put the fish on a rack so it wouldn't sit on the pan. Baked it in 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then I turned off the oven and let it sit in it (maybe another 20 more minutes) until we were ready for dinner. The fish came out very crispy.

All in all it was a pretty good meal. Not sure if we'd be back anytime soon. I found it a bit on the expensive side. 


Kumare
8130 Park Rd
Richmond, BC V6Y 1T1
604 284 5111

Comments