Loaf Bread With Oat Meal


This version is based on Joshua Weissman's video on making loaf sandwich bread. I included the video in my original posting here.

I have been trying to incorporate more oat flour in my baking in an attempt to make it healthier. Also this recipe uses half the amount of yeast since recently I started to notice that my bread had a strong smell of yeast even after it's already fully baked.

Ingredients :

3/4 cup (174 gr) warm water (37℃ or 98℉)
1 ts apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup (125 gr) warm whole milk (same temperature)
1 1/4 ts active dry yeast
1 ts baking powder
60 gr oat flour
380 gr all purpose flour
1 tbs (21 gr) sugar
1/2 ts (2.5 gr) salt
3 tbs (45 gr) butter (softened)
1 pan 9 x 5 x 2.75 inch

Instructions :
Measure flour, baking powder and salt and place them in a big bowl. Stir to combine.

Put aside in a smaller container the yeast and sugar. Prepare the warm water using thermometer to measure the temperature. Once the right water temperature is reached, pour the yeast and sugar in the water and stir until the yeast dissolve. Set aside for about 10 minutes or until the yeast mixture starts to form a raise.

Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Continue with the milk as well. Once the dough starts to form. Put it onto a surface and begin to knead. Kneading process takes between 15-20 minutes or until the dough feels elastic.

Form the dough into a smooth ball and drop it into an oiled bowl. Cover with a dish towel. Keep in a warm area. I like to keep mine in a cold close oven with a big pot of hot water. The steam produced by the hot water keeps the area warm and humid thus speeding up the proofing time. 

Once the dough reaches twice the size the original amount. Take it out onto a flat surface and flatten it. I usually just use my hands to shape it into an even log the length of my pan (9 inch). Then the dough will be dropped into the lined/oiled pan.

Put the pan back to proof the second time. Patience is the key here. Which I failed a few times before because I wasn't patient enough to wait for it to double in size.

Bake in the preheated oven 350℉ for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Take it out of the oven and wait until it's cooled off completely before slicing.

Comments