Gluten Free Banana Bread


I remember one of the videos I found on YouTube had a comment posted by another users that has to go gluten free. It's not easy and so far I it seems that banana bread is pretty much an easier version of gluten free bread. That's why I seem to have a 'good collection' of it now. ðŸ˜‹

This version uses sorghum flour and brown rice flour. It's an adapted version of Gluten Free Banana Bread recipe from Southern Living I found on myrecipes.com. Please see the original version here.

Ingredients :

1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup dates
2 large eggs
6 tbs aquafaba
2 very ripe bananas - mashed (about 1 cup)
1 apple
1 ts vanilla extract
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1/3 cup rice bran oil


Directions :
Measure all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside. Line a 9 X 5 or 8 X 4 loaf pan. Set aside.

Preheat oven at 350℉.

Soak the dates in 1 cup boiling water for about 10 minutes or until the dates are softer and easier to work with.

Peel and cut apple into smaller pieces that will fit into food processor. Place the pieces in the food processor with half of the aquafaba. Run the food processor until the mixture comes out as a puree. Pour into a big mixing bowl with the mashed banana.

Tear apart the soften dates and place all the pieces in the food processor along with the other half of aquafaba. Run the food processors until the mixture comes out as a puree. Place this together with the other ingredients in the mixing bowl.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix with the oil. Use a fork to scramble this until it's well mixed then pour into the wet ingredients bowl. Place the vanilla in this wet ingredients bowl as well. Mix well.

Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl. Use a spatula to stir and scrape off the side as necessary. Continue mixing until both ingredients mixed well. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven of 350℉ for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Wait for about 15 minutes before removing the bread and place it on the cooling rack. 

Notes.
I used a combination of eggs and aquafaba because I have plenty of aquafaba that hasn't been used. Also I'm still on my elimination diet phase so I tried not to place too much of one ingredients on my plate.

I used only 1 tbs of coconut sugar when testing out this recipe. But I found out that it may not be necessary as the dates alone was pretty sweet for my taste buds.

I used rice bran oil as I am having issues with some sort of skin condition (dermatitis) and rice bran oil is recommended for eczema sufferers. But you can use whatever oil or even butter if you prefer.

This bread was very nice and moist on the first day. But we found out that after it was refrigerated over night it became dryer. I did have a few slices frozen but I haven't tried those yet. ðŸ¤”


Comments