Gluten Free Yeast Free Sandwich Bread


Last year at one point I tried a lot of gluten free bread which didn't turn out well enough for me to post it here. This time my diet changed again and I allow egg to be included which made it a bit easier. This recipe was adapted gluten free yeast free sandwich bread by Elise of Frugal Farm Wife. You can find the original recipe here

Ingredients :

Dry ingredients :
1/2 cup brown rice
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup sweet potato starch
1 + 1/2 ts zanthan gum
1/2 ts baking soda
2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts salt
1 tbs coconut sugar

Wet ingredients :
1 egg
1/4 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup aquafaba
1/4 cup almond milk

Preparation : 
Preheat oven at 350℉. Line a small loaf pan.

Mix all the wet ingredients in one bowl. Mix all the dry ingredients in another separate bowl. 

Put in a little bit of the dry ingredients mix into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Continue the process until all the dry ingredients get incorporated into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.

Scoop the batter into the lined loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Let it cool off completely (about 2 hours) before slicing.

Notes 
For starch I use sweet potato starch because I'm avoiding corn. Otherwise I think corn starch should be fine to replace sweet potato starch.

Coconut cream in this recipe was used because I have left over coconut cream from a can of coconut. It's basically the harden portion of the coconut milk that was separated from the water portion. Popped it in the microwave to liquify it and let it cool before mixing it with the rest of the wet ingredients. The original recipe uses olive oil. 

I included aquafaba along with the egg because I think more eggs probably would make the bread less dry/crumbly. But at the same time eggs for me is still something that I'm testing myself on and I don't want to have too much of them yet. The original recipe uses 3/4 cup of milk. So if you're not using aquafaba, just up the amount of liquid to 3/4 cup instead. 

For people who don't know, aquafaba is the liquid portion of cooked chickpeas. Either you can get it from canned chickpeas or if you're cooking chickpeas from dry form then make sure to keep the liquid. Just boil it down to make it more potent. I got about 1 cup of liquid from cooking my 1 cup of dry chickpeas.


Comments