Paik's Noodle 홍콩반점 산호세 - Santa Clara, CA


Our friends recommended this place to meet up for dinner. I am guessing this place was pretty new as I didn't remember it being there the last time we still lived in the area.

We went there around 6 pm on Sunday evening and it was pretty busy already. The parking lot was sort of small but since it's Sunday, one could actually park at the Bank of America parking lot next door. But then you actually have to come from El Camino instead of Kiely Blvd like us did.


The restaurant itself isn't very big, as soon as we walked in we could pretty much see every corners of it. It embraces open kitchen with only clear glass between kitchen and dining area. In front of the register was a table and shelves for pick up orders. I guess it's very neat that way.


We were seated at a long table and colorful menus were distributed. I loved menus with pictures. Their menus though was sort of small. Their specialties are jjamppong and jajangmyeon with dishes like tangsuyuk. Jjamppong is a Korean noodle soup with spicy broth. If you ever tasted Korean style instant noodle like Shin ramyun - jjamppong tastes just like that. Jajangmyeon is another Korean style noodle with yellow noodle serves in a black bean paste sauce. Noodle in black color sauce may not look very appetizing but it's actually tastes fine. In my opinion jajangmyeon is pretty subtle taste that's why it's served with pickled radish to compliment the flavor.


Anyway, our friends ordered jajangmyeon, bokkeumyeon, tangsuyuk and fried dumpling. That was my first time having tangsuyuk. I have heard about this dish before, it's deep fried pork serves with sweet sour sauce. I assumed it looks like orange chicken from Panda Express but this one looked different. In fact, the deep fried 'pork' didn't have much pork in it. I think it was just a tiny sliver of pork covered with starchy batter. I think people like the taste of the fried batter - a bit chewy which goes well with the sauce.

I think for me the highlight of the dishes was the bokkeumyeon. It's more Chinese than the other dishes. From my understanding, jajangmyeon and tangsuyuk are considered Chinese influenced Korean dishes. But I feel that bokkeumyeon tasted very Chinese and more tasty than the other dishes that night. It's stir fry noodle with pork and veggies with a bit hint of spiciness. Too bad their fried chicken dish wasn't ready yet. It would have been interesting to try that one.

All in all we enjoyed the meal though I must say that there's lots of carbs and definitely not for people who is doing low carb diet.

Paik's Noodle
1520 Kiely Blvd
Santa Clara, CA 95051
408 244 0410


Comments