Mamalee - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


This Malaysian restaurant is supposed to be the place for Hainanese chicken rice. I heard about it like four years ago when we first moved here. Finally we had a chance to try this place out.

We went there during lunch time. The place wasn't that big. I think it's more suitable for take out as it's harder to space out the tables during COVID. There was a sign explaining that wait time was longer due to short staffing. Wow...this phenomenon seemed to be everywhere.


I noticed a note on the table and QR code for the menu. I pointed to hubby so we went ahead and checked out the menu using the QR code and placed our orders. Then there was a group of older patrons. I think they were probably in their 70s and they were given paper menu. I told that to hubby as well and we got a laugh out of it. Interesting 😎😎

We ordered one order of chicken rice and one order of pan mee. Their menu was pretty small. It should be good right that means they really specialized in chicken rice. Like in those food court in Singapore, most of the times, the chicken rice seller only sells chicken rice.


The chicken rice here looked quite promising and smelled amazing. The chicken was boneless. Very important. The platter also came with a tiny designated area for chili sauce. Next to the chicken was a few slices of cucumber. The rice was moist and fragrant. Not too oily. The chicken was room temperature. In my opinion it's not bad. But I'll let the chicken rice connoisseur had the final words. Hubby said it's not bad except the chili sauce was okay only. I noticed there was some dark sauce drizzled on the chicken as well.

The pan mee was kind of interesting. I expected that to be served dry with minced meat on top and soup on the side. It was sort of like that. But it also came with a poached egg and scattered anchovies (ikan bilis). I can't remember if there was any minced meat. Maybe there was but tiny amount.

Mamalee
3144 W Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6K 2H3
(604) 733-8882

Comments