LanZhou Noodles - Chiang Mai, Thailand


After a few months in South East Asia, me and hubby craved Lan Zhou style noodles. Prior to arriving in Chiang Mai, I had a list of dishes that I was hoping to be able to find in Chiang Mai. Lan Zhou style noodles was one of them. So this restaurant in Nimman area of Chiang Mai was our first meal in Chiang Mai.

It's located on Nimmanahaeminda Road just a few doors down from McDonalds. I was surprised to find that it's open 24 hours ! I guess it's suited to the live area of Nimman where a lot of other small cute cafes and restaurants are located.



There was a menu posted outside where we stopped and perused the menu ahead. When we walked in we went straight to a table. But turned out that we needed to place our order first at the counter. The staff behind the counter actually spoke Chinese with us. Though honestly I think she spoke Chinese better than us even though she is Thai. 😅

The noodles took a while to be ready. Our fried egg arrived first and then the cucumber salad. Both were good. Though thinking back, I should have ordered a separate order of beef for THB120 (USD 3.35) instead of cucumber salad THB100 (USD 2.79). From where we sat we had view into the kitchen. Two men working in the tiny kitchen. One man was manipulating a dough. I think he was in charge of preparing our la mian (pulled noodles). Of course, at the time, they were also preparing orders for the other table of four. 





Anyhow, our bowl of noodles finally arrived. Hubby's ordered Lanzhou lamian (Lan Zhou pulled noodles) with a choice of regular size noodle. The regular size noodle for me seemed thinner than the noodle size we tried before at the Lan Zhou noodles in Vancouver, Canada. The broth didn't looked as red or oily as well. The topping was only chopped green onion and a few slices of white daikon. There's no spiciness in the broth so we were free to season it to taste.

My bowl of noodle used a thinner (in fact the thinnest option available) noodle. Mine was dry pork noodle. The broth was served on the side in a smaller bowl. My bowl consisted of noodle topped off with thinly shredded cucumber, cubes of cooked (boiled?) pork, and bean sauce. The sauce was tasty and a bit saltier. I didn't use everything so I passed some of it to hubby who liked it a lot with his noodle.

I must say that the noodle was top notch. A bit slippery but smooth. Somehow I didn't feel overly full when I was done with my bowl of noodle. I didn't I enjoyed the dry noodle better compared to the Lan Zhou la mian with soup. 

The cucumber salad though a bit pricey (in my opinion) but went well with the noodle and the fried egg. 😁 Over all we were satisfied with our noodles. Total spent THB 475 (USD 13.27).

LanZhou Noodles
43 Nimmanahaeminda Road, Tambon Su Thep, Mueang Chiang Mai District
Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200
Phone: 097 193 0228

Comments